How to Prevent a Sudden Ignition of Your Appliances

How to Prevent a Sudden Ignition of Your Appliances

Have you ever paid attention to the number of appliances you use on a daily basis? If you take notice, you realize that almost everything we do these days, involves one appliance or another. Whether it is a microwave, washing machine or coffee maker, we are dependent on a number of machines. There is no denying that these appliances have made our lives immensely convenient, but they can also pose a risk. How? What will happen if any of these appliances ignite without warning? Do you know this can lead to fire, which can cause a lot of damage to your home and can even be fatal?

You have to take precautions such as installing a home energy monitoring system for giving you alerts when your appliances are left on or are consuming too much energy such as Such monitoring tools are aimed at ensuring energy efficiency and keep them working optimally. Installing home energy systems is the first step to take for preventing a sudden ignition of your appliances and the next steps to take are outlined below:

Don’t neglect appliance recalls

Taking a look at statistics show that in the last decade, about 150,000 fires were caused due to home appliances. Defective appliances may have functioning or wiring issues that lead to short circuits and can prove to be very dangerous. The best way to prevent disaster is to register your appliance with the manufacturer and check their website regularly to see if your appliance has been recalled.

Opting for the wrong wattage

You are not alone if you decide to use a 70-watt bulb in a 50-watt socket. What’s the harm in that, right? However, this is like putting your home at risk because it can ignite your lights and other appliances. Electrical fires mostly occur because you install a light bulb that has too high a wattage for a light fixture or lamp. It is better if you don’t go over the recommended rating when plugging in appliances or light bulbs.

Indulging in DIY without proper knowledge

Of course, you want to save money when you are putting your appliances together or fixing them when there is a problem. But, if you make even a small mistake, it can lead to disastrous results. Jobs that involve wiring, plugs or other similar tools shouldn’t be made into a DIY project unless you have professional knowledge. Even the smallest mistake can ignite your appliances and lead to fires.

Using the wrong wiring

Just like wattage, choosing the wrong sort of wiring for your appliances can be an invitation for serious problems. Even using too many extension cords is not recommended and shouldn’t be considered a permanent solution. If the wiring is not appropriate, it may not be able to handle the current running through it and can ignite your appliances. Not only will the appliance itself be damaged, but it can also lead to fire breakouts.

Take these necessary measures and prevent a sudden ignition of your appliances.

Leave a Reply